Getting prepared for the Child Custody Evaluation can be nerve racking, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be if you take a few important points into consideration. Follow the six guidelines below to ensure a more controlled Child Custody Hearing and perhaps a bit less stress during the process. iRecord values the protection of children and taking all measures toward keeping them in the environment in which they are safest.
You don’t have to jeopardize your upcoming hearing by overlooking these simple considerations.
1. You should be friendly, sincere and candid in your approach toward the opposing attorney.
You should the look at the psychological evaluation as if it is a job interview. Answer the questions in short, brief, direct sentences, never give more information than you have to.
2. You should not say anything against the other parent and their family.
Show that you know your children and you know about their interests, hobbies, teachers, friends, their educational aims, and more. If the psychologist wants to know anything negative about the other parent, you should simply narrate an incident with the facts and stop at that, the psychologist needs to draw the conclusion.
3. You shouldn’t make any accusation regarding any type of abuse like physical, mental or sexual, until there’s sufficient proof.
The psychologist can report to CYS for further investigation for child abuse. And if you suspect child abuse, then you should report to CYS instead of making allegations, since false allegations can prove damaging to your reputation and this case as well.
4. You should prepare for the interactional sessions.
Bringing games, food, homework, or anything that might seem appropriate is necessary. But don’t stray away from the target. You can also make a list of doctors, temples or churches, schools, or any other special need of your child.
5. Stay mentally strong and collected by getting a good night’s sleep.
By going to bed early and without distractions, you’ll wake up with a clear mind and relaxed. Staying up all night long worrying won’t help you in the long-run, you’ll wake up feeling anxious, frustrated, and tired.
6. You should highlight the current needs of your children, instead of focusing on the other parent’s failures.
Show the others that you care more about your child than the petty fighting between the other parent.
Use these tips during a Child Custody Evaluation and you’ll be more prepared and less nervous. Let iRecord help with all your needs.