The benefits of statewide requirements of electronic recording of custodial interrogations are many, including reducing wrongful convictions, to avoid disputes about what is said during interviews and to allow law enforcement and other parties to review recordings after they have been made.
The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers has published 16 Top Benefits to use of ERI systems in and out of the court room. These benefits extend to all involved in the criminal justice system. We have pulled out eight of the 16 to highlight.
When you utilize electronic recording in custodial interrogations, you also are able to:
- Determine whether or not the defendant was given appropriate explanation of rights required by the Miranda case.
- To determine whether or not the police interrogators used proper procedures and tactics during the interrogation.
- To determine whether or not statements of the suspect were made freely and voluntarily.
- To save the time of all others potentially involved in determining the facts concerning the interview, namely, supervisory personnel, prosecutors, defense lawyers, jurors, and trial and reviewing court judges.
- To permit the officers to concentrate on the suspect and their questioning, rather than having to make notes during the interview.
- For illustrative purposes for use in training new detectives, and continuing education of experienced officers.
- To instill public confidence in the manner in which law enforcement officers conduct themselves during custodial interviews.
- To reduce the risk of civil suits by and damage awards in favor of wrongly convicted persons, which often result in taxpayers bearing the burden of paying the damages.
To read the full list of 16 Benefits of ERI from the NACDL, click here.
iRecord is the natural choice for the interview rooms of all types that require a simple video and audio recording solution with high quality and reliability.
Some of the great features about iRecord’s system are:
- ONE TOUCH Recording and VHS-style controls make operation SIMPLE.
- Greater versatility and more time saving features than an off the shelf DVR.
- Simple “Pie Chart” shows instantly how much space remains on recorder
- Volume and speed control during playback of a recording.
- Automatic delivery through a LAN or WAN
- Automatically time-and-date stamp user text annotations that allows user to skip directly to important parts of interview